1night 2days
2nights 3days
3nights 4days
 Home > Overnight Package > 1night 2days > Trip-25 Andong & Gyeongju Tour (1N 2D)
 Trip-25 Andong & Gyeongju Tour (1N 2D)
Tour number : Trip-25
Price : 390,000won / $390 / per person
No. of people : minimum 2 person
Time : Decided upon request
Conditions : Guide, Transportation, Pick-up service, Entrance fee, Taxes

► Price 
* Adult 390,000won / $390 / per person (2 persons)
* Adult 320,000won / $320 / per person (4 persons)
* Child 273,000won / $273 / per person / Child-under 10 year-old (2 persons)
* Child 224,000won / $224 / per person / Child-under 10 year-old (4 persons)

► Itinerary

Day 1Seoul

Hotel Pick-up
Hahoe Mask Museum
Hahoe Village
Jirye Art Village
Hotel Drop-off
Day 2Andong

Hotel Pick-up
Seokguram Grotto
Bulguksa Temple
Gyeongju National Museum
Anapji Pond
Tumuli Park
Cheomseongdae Observatory

► Conditions

* English Speaking Guide
* Hotel pick up Service, Transportation 
* Entrance fee
* Taxes

► Remarks
* 30,000won per person is additionally charged on weekends (Fri~Sun)

► Description

The Andong is well known for its traditional masks and also the visit of Queen Elizabeth in 1999 on her birthday. in the following day you will visit Gyeongju which is one of the most hitorical cities in Korea. It is often considered as the "Museum without walls" due to the fact that you're surrounded by Silla's never-fading spirit and its historical remains such as Bulguksa and Sukgeuram grotto.

Hahoedong Mask Museum
This museum is designated important Intangible treasure No. 69 and was created by Dong-pyo Kim, hahoe mask maker. This is the only national mask museum in Korea. The Hahoedong Mask Museum in the Hahoe Village presents traditional masked dance performances.
It is estimated that the Hahoe masks date back to the 11th and 12th centuries. The masks on display here were passed down generations, typically only being used once a year in performances. After the performance was complete, all of the masks were gathered for safe keeping. It was considered taboo to be too close to the masks during daily life. This aided in their preservation. The Hahoe masks were created just like peoples’ faces with slight unsymmetrical features. The dog masks were created differently with a separate jaw making their movements different during performances. Many diverse masks are on display at the museum.
Some rare masks are on display at Seoul’s Jungang National Museum. This museum also includes mask maker, Dong-pyo Kim’s masks and masks that he produced in the Hahoe style. Approximately 19 varieties of Korean masks (300 in all), as well as approximately 500 masks from 35 countries are on exhibit.
Visitors to the museum can learn how to make masks using gourds, wood, and paper.
A display of masks used during traditional dance performances can also be viewed by visitors. An outdoor theater, measuring approximately 300 m2, hosts mask dance performances as well as the famous International Mask Dance Festival.

Hahoe Village
Andong Hahoe Village has preserved the housing architecture and the village structure of the Joseon dynasty. Moreover, the village was not artificially created; there are people who actually live there.
Three sides of Hahoe Village (Main Folk Asset No.122) is surrounded by the Nakdonggang River. Because the river swirls around the village, the village is named Hahoe(河回), and is also called the spinning river village.
Next to Hahoe village are many pine trees and a soft sand plain, and across from it are beautiful cliffs. The public knew this village by a Confusian scholar of the Joseon Dynasty (1392~1910), Gyeomam Yu Un-Ryong (1539~1601) and Seoae Yu Seong-Ryong (1542~1607) who had done great deeds during the Imjin War (Japanese invasion in 1592).
Because the village is surrounded with mountains and water, it had never been invaded. This is the reason why these houses still remain in their original structure.
There are 180 families resigin within the village and they are known as the group village of the Pungsan Ryu family. There are houses designated as National treasures, such as Yangjindang (No.306) and Chunghyodang (No.414). Also there are other important folk material such as the Hahoe Bukchon House (No.84), Hahoe Namchon House(No.90) and Hahoe Juilje(No.91).
Houses designated as important folk materials help to preserve the formation and the backgrounds of the village of the Ryu family, especially featuring Yun Un-Ryong and Yu Seong-Ryong.
Hahoe Village is also famous for the Byeolsin exorcism, the mask dance and the Hahoe Mask. The Hahoe Byeongsan Mask is the oldest mask in Korea and is used in the Hahoe Mask Dance. Hahoe Village became famous from the visit of Queen Elizabeth in 1999. Many events featuring the Mask Dance are held.
The Andong International Mask Dance Festival is from between the end of September and October for approximately 10 days, inside of Hahoe Village or at the Andong Gangbyeon Festival Grounds.

Byeongsanseowon Confucian Academy
Byeongsanseowon is a Confucian school that was established by esteemed Confucian scholars to pay tribute to the memory of Seong-nyong Yu (1542-1607), who was well-respected for his writings and personality. His mortuary tablet is enshrined at this school. Around the time of 1863, Confucian schools enjoyed many freedoms under the Joseon rule, students and scholars of the school were exempt from taxation and other expenses. Byeongsan Seowon was one of 47 places in all of Korea and 2 in Andong not destroyed during the rule of Daewongun [Politician of Joseon Imperial family, 1820 ~ 1898] in 1868.

The Nakdong-gang River is situated just in front of the Confucian Academy. Cross the river and the Byeongsan Mountain can be found. By forming a folding screen like shape around the academy, the mountains both protect and add a serene beauty to the area.

Bongjeongsa Temple
Bongjeongsa Temple was built in the 12th year of King Munmu (reign from 661~681) of the Silla Dynasty as, according to the legend, the Great Buddist Monk Ui-Sang (625~702) launched from Buseoksa Temple landed on this spot. Documents from Geuknakjeon state that Neungin Daedeuk, a disciple of Monk Ui-Sang, had established the temple and it has been rebuilt several times during the Joseon Dynasty (1392~1910).

Bongjeongsa Temple is the largest temple in Andong, and possesses the oldest Korea wooden building Geuknakjeon. Past the Ilju Gate and the forest path is the Bongjeongsa Temple. Bongjeongsa Temple has a unique elegant atmosphere. The old trees and hermitages nearby are also worth the look. There are many towers inside such as the Daeungjeon (National Treasure No.55), Geuknakjeon (National Treasure No.15) and many others. There are also important buildings such as the 3-story Stone Pagoda, the representative pagoda of the Goryeo Dynasty (918~1392). Geuknakjeon from the Goryeo Dynasty, and Daeungjeon from the Joseon Dynasty, stand next to each other. It will be interesting to compare the two types of architecture. Inside both buildings there is a tree with the complete collection of Buddhist Sutras, Laws and Treatises and others.

Seokguram Grotto 
Seokguram, located on Mt.Tohamsan, is the representative stone temple of Korea. The official name of Seokguram, National Treasure No. 24, is Seokguram Seokgul. Designated as World Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1995, it is an artificial stone temple made of granite. The construction was started by Kim Dae-Seong (700-774) in 751 during the reign of King Gyeong-Deok (742-765) of the Silla Dynasty (57 B.C.-A.D. 935) and it was finished twenty-four years later in 774, during the reign of King Hye-Gong (765-780).

Seokguram is known to have been built with Bulguksa Temple. According to the history book Samgukyusa of the Goryeo Dynasty (the country that unified the Korean peninsula at the end of the Silla Dynasty, 918~1392), Kim Dae-Seong had built Bulguksa for the parents who were alive, and Seokguram for the parents of his former life.

Bulguksa Temple 
Bulguksa Temple is the representative relic of Gyeongju and was designated as a World Cultural Asset by UNESCO in 1995. The beauty of the temple itself and the artistic touch of the stone relics are known throughout the world.

Bulguksa Temple was built in 528 during the Silla Dynasty, in the 15th year of King Beop-Heung's reign (514-540). The temple was originally called ‘Hwaeom Bulguksa Temple’ or ‘Beopryusa Temple’ and was rebuilt by Kim Dae-Seong (700-774), who started building the temple in 751 during the reign of King Gyeong-Deok (in power 742-765) and completed it in 774 during the reign of King Hye-Gong (in power 765-780). Upon completion, the temple’s name was changed to ‘Bulguksa.'

Bulguksa underwent numerous renovations from the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) to the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), but was burned down during the Imjinwaeran War (the war following the Japanese Invasion, 1592-1598).

Reconstruction started again in 1604 during the 37th year of King Seon-jo’s reign (Joseon Dynasty) and was renovated about 40 times until 1805 (during the reign of King Sun-Jo, 1790-1834). After this time, the temple suffered serious damage and was often the target of robbers.

In 1969, the Bulguksa Temple Restoration Committee was formed and in 1973, Mulseoljeon, Gwaneumjeon, Birojeon, Gyeongru, and Hoerang (all of which had previously been demolished) were rebuilt. Other old or broken sites (such as Daeungjeon, Geungnakjeon, Beomyeongnu and Jahamun) were repaired.

Even today, Bulguksa Temple is home to many important cultural relics such as Dabo-tap (National Treasure No. 20), Seokga-tap (National Treasure No. 21) Yeonhwa-gyo* Chilbo-gyo (National Treasure No. 22), Cheongun-gyo,* Baegun-gyo (National Treasure No. 23), the Golden Seated Vairocana Buddhist Figure (National Treasure No. 26), the Golden Seated Amita Figure (National Treasure No. 27), and Sari-tap (Treasure No. 61). 

Gyeongju National Museum
Gyeongju National Museum rests deep in tradition, with a history of about 90 years. Representing Gyeongju, which used to be the capital of Silla (BC57~AD935), the museum is where you can view the cultural history of Gyeongju district. The exhibition hall is divided into 4 large parts: the Main hall, Annex I, Annex II, and the Outdoor Exhibit Area (Museum Grounds). In the Main Hall you can see earthenware, and in the Arts and Crafts room you can see various artwork and craftwork. Gukeun Memorial Hall exhibits 666 artifacts, which are the personal collection of Dr. Lee Yang-Seon, donated to the museum for preservation purposes. Artifacts from the great tombs of the city of Gyeongju are exhibited in Annex I, the Gobun Gallery. There are many glittering accessories, such as golden crowns, crown ornaments, belts, earrings etc. You can experience the superb artistry from the Silla Period through these artifacts. Approximately 30,000 artifacts were excavated from Anapji Pond, the most significant of which are exhibited in Annex 2, the Anapji Gallery. The other galleries exhibit household goods. These various types of items show life in the Royal Court during the Silla Period. After the galleries, you can move on to the Outdoor Exhibit Area, which is the Museum Grounds. King Seongdeok’s Bell located there, is the most renowned of Buddhist temple bells. You cannot help but feel solemn as you watch the relic. There is also a variety of artifacts from royal palaces and temples exhibited here. Buddhist sculptures make up the majority of the stone artifacts. If you are a traveler interested in Buddhism or the magnificent culture of royal palaces, this is a place you do not want to miss.

Anapji Pond
According to the historical records of ‘Samguk-sagi,’ Anapji Pond was built during the 14th year of King Munmu (in power 661-681 AD) of the Silla Dynasty (57 BC-935 AD). Small mountains were created inside the palace walls, beautiful flowers were planted, and rare animals were brought in to create an exquisitely exotic garden fit for royalty. The pond was originally built in Wolseung Fortress (erected in 101 AD during the Silla period), but the fortress was destroyed and now lies in ruins. In 1974, an excavation project revealed large spherical shapes (measuring 200 meters in diameter and 180 meters in height) which indicated that 3 islands had been located in the pond. Thanks to these important findings and existing historical records, Anapji Pond has been restored to nearly its former glory.

Imhae jeonji
As one of the detached palaces of the Silla royal family’s main palace, this structure was used as the crowned prince’s palace. Imhaejeon is historically the most important building on the property and records often refer to the whole area as ‘Imhaejin.’ An excavation resulted in the discovery of several buildings: Hoerang (corridor area), Anapji Pond, and five towers in the western part of the area. Some sites have been restored while others have been left in their natural state with only the cornerstones poking out from beneath the ground.

Daereungwon Tomb Complex (Cheonmachong Tomb) 
Large ancient tombs of kings and noblemen of the Silla Dynasty can be seen around Gyeongju at the Daereungwon Tomb Complex (Cheonmachong Tomb). There are twenty-three large tombs located here; the most famous being Cheonmachong and Hwangnamdaechong. In an excavation of the area in the 1970's, Cheonmachong was discovered with a painting of mounted horse. This painting is the only discovered painting from the Silla Era. You can also view the inside of Cheonmachong. There are 11,526 remains and crowns of the king inside the tomb demonstrating the lavish lifestyle of the king. Another tourist attraction is Hwangnamdaechong, which is the largest ancient tomb. It houses the bodies of both the king and queen and has over 30 thousand relics and gold accessories. The unique thing about Hwangnamdaechong is that the queen's tomb has more luxurious accessories. From that researchers have concluded that even the queen can have a high social position before marriage. You can feel the ancient culture of Korea 1,500 years ago when visiting these tombs.

Cheomseongdae Observatory
Cheomseongdae is the oldest existing astronomical observatory in Asia.
Constructed during the reign of Queen Seon-deok (632-647), it was used for observing the stars in order to forecast the weather. This stone structure is a beautiful combination of straight lines and curves, and was designated as National Treasure No.31 on December 20th, 1962.
It stands 9.17m high and the base stone on each side measures 5.35m.
The Vernal Equinox, Autumnal Equinox, Winter Solstice, Summer Solstice and the 24 solar terms (also known as the astronomical solar year) were determined by the observation of stars. The pavilion stone is believed to have been used as a standard of deciding directions, north, south, east and west. The 362 stones used to build Cheomseongdae represented the 362 days in a lunar year.

view list 
Jump to:  

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
Grace Travel Co., Ltd
R1052, B1, Nurikkum Square 396, World Cup buk-ro, Mapo-gu, Seoul, KOREA
TEL : +82-2-332-8946, FAX : +82-2-336-7334, E-mail : help@triptokorea.com
Copyright © 2002 GRACE TRAVEL All rights reserved / Supported by ONTOIN